Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Halloween Treats Part 1- Candy Sushi

Yes, Halloween is over, but luckily my Halloween treats are perfect for all year round.

Candy sushi is a staple at all of my parties and while it's the easiest treat to make, I always get a lot of compliments. I made these along with Ghostbusters cupcakes and cake pops (both of which I'll be posting soon).

Nothing gets me compliments like candy sushi does, some people love it on sight, others have been weary, but in the end they all rave about it. It tastes a bit like Fruit Loops.


I don't have a definite link to attribute this recipe to, I've found it on a few different sites.

You really only need about half a batch of rice krispie treats, but I always just make a full batch and feed the rest to my family.

Candy Sushi
half a batch of rice krispie treats (I use this recipe)
10 fruit roll-ups, whatever color you want
20 sour gummi worms

Unroll all the fruit rollups, but leave them on the plastic sheets (it makes rolling them much easier).

Pull off about a fourth of the rice krispie treats and microwave for a few seconds until warm and pliable.

Take a small amount of the rise krispies and flatten it in the middle of the fruit rollup, you want to cover about 2/3 of the fruit rollup. Then place 1 or 2 gummi worms on top of the rice krispies.

Roll the whole thing up like a piece of sushi, making sure to completely close it. If it isn't completely circular, once the edges are sealed roll it over our counter till it's cylindrical. Repeat with the rest of your supplies. (If the first few are a little messy, don't worry, you just need practice.)

If you're going to serve the candy sushi now, pull the plastic off and slice it into about 4-5 pieces.
If you're making it ahead of time, put all the sushi rolls into a ziploc bag and then cut them right before you plan to serve them (you don't want them to get stale). They'll keep for a day or two. I usually roll them the night before a party.

To complete the "sushi" look, set a small bowl of soy sauce (chocolate syrup) and wasabi (green frosting) next to the sushi. Don't forget chopsticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment