Thursday, March 24, 2011

Banoffee Pie

Disney World was amazing, and admittedly I haven't been doing much cooking since I got back. Luckily though I threw together this amazingly simple and unique pie before I left (laziness has kept me from posting it until now).

I made homemade dulce de leche for some ice cream sandwiches for my Star Wars party, and I had so much leftover that I thought it would be nice to use it up in another dessert. I saw a recipe for Banoffee Pie ages ago and it looked like concentrated deliciousness. Banoffee Pie consists of a graham cracker crust, layer of sliced bananas, a layer of dulce de leche and then a generous helping of whipped cream, the whole thing is topped off with chocolate shavings or mini chocolate chips.

Normally I would make my own graham cracker crust and whipped cream, but I was feeling lazy so I used a storebought crust and cool whip. It was delicious (and very fast), but next time I'll be making everything myself.

You can buy cans of dulce de leche or you can make your own with sweetened condensed milk (which will save you a couple bucks). I used this method to make dulce de leche. Be careful though, once you make dulce de leche, you'll constantly be thinking about making more. It's crazy delicious. The combination with of bananas and dulce de leche in Banoffee Pie is especially delicious and nearly addictive. (Seriously, this is my new favorite pie.)

Banoffee Pie
1 store bought graham cracker crust
1 1/2 cans of dulce de leche
1 tub of Cool Whip
1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips
2-3 bananas

Slice bananas.

Place bananas in the graham cracker crust in an even layer.

Cover with dulce de leche.

Top with Cool Whip.

Sprinkle mini chocolate chips.

Let the pie set in the fridge for an hour (or longer, the longer it sets the tastier it is. It's amazing the next day.)

Slice and enjoy. You can slice small servings and feed a lot of people, because it's pretty rich.
Messy slices are just as delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment