Thursday, February 17, 2011

Blood Orange Bars


As the temperature dipped into negative numbers recently, I really found myself craving citrus. This was amplified by the appearance of blood oranges at my local Wegmans (they're difficult to find even when they're in season). So of course I stocked up on blood oranges and immediately began making plans to do some baking with them.

I enlisted a friend (Mr. Dominic Luongo) to take pictures, so you wouldn't have to put up with any of my fuzzy rushed cellphone pictures.

First I attempted Blood Orange 'Lemon' Bars. They turned out great, not as pink as I'd have liked, but they were really delicious. The only problem I encountered was that I forgot to grease the baking pan. With some recipes you can get away with forgetting, but here it was absolutely crucial. The bars completely stuck to the pan. They still tasted good, but were a bit messy.

Another crucial step, zesting. I've recently begun a love affair with zesting citrus. For some reason I used to think it was gross, but it adds nice color and extra citrus flavor. (Also it makes your hands smell amazing). Just make sure to zest before juicing the citrus, it's much easier in that order.

If you aren't able to get a hold of blood oranges, I think any combination of citrus would work. Obviously the classic lemon, but orange/lime would be interesting, or maybe grapefruit. Use your favorite or whatever looks good at the grocery store.
Blood Orange 'Lemon' Bars

Crust
3/4 cups unsalted butter
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
pinch of salt

Filling
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2/3 cup juice, half blood orange and half lime
2 Tablespoons zest, half blood orange and half lime
2/3 cup flour

Preheat oven to 350.

Zest the limes and blood oranges. I used the small grate side of my box grater, but if you have a zester you can obviously use that.

Juice the limes and blood oranges. (Now your hands will smell amazing.) Set juice and zest aside.

Cream together butter and sugar, then slowly add flour and salt.

Transfer to greased baking dish (I used my 13 by 9 baking dish, but I'd recommend something smaller.) Press the dough down evenly in the baking dish (using your hand is the easiest way to do it).

Bake for 20-25 minutes, until lightly golden, set aside to cool (in your fridge/freezer if you're impatient.)

In you mixer (or with a whisk) mix together the eggs and sugar.

Add the juice and zest, mix thoroughly.

Pour the filling over the cooled crust.

Bake for another 30-35 minutes, until the filling is set. (There was a big air bubble in mine when it finished baking, but it went down.)

Let cool.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar and garnish with slices of blood orange.

No comments:

Post a Comment