Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Sweet Whiskey Hot Sauce

My family hasn't ordered wings once since we've learned to make them ourselves.

We tend to make the classic Franks and butter sauce, but lately I've been getting a bit bored of that. It's time to expand and try some new sauces.

I really liked this hot sauce, it's sweet like barbecue sauce, but had a nice kick, next time I'll add a few more serrano peppers though. (The original recipe can be found here.)

Of course my dad liked it, because I used Jack Daniels.

Sweet Whiskey Hot Sauce
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 tablespoons chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, roughly chopped
¼ cup Serrano peppers, seeds removed and diced
½ cup carrot, peeled and finely diced
½ cup onion, finely diced
1/4 cup whiskey
Juice of 1 lemon
½ cup brown sugar or molasses
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon salt
1 cup water

Dice the chipotle and serrano peppers, onions and carrots.

In a saucepan, simmer (on a low heat) the chipotle and serrano peppers, onions, carrots, vinegar and water. For about 15 to 20 minutes or until everything softens.

Add the whiskey, lemon juice, brown sugar, cumin, and salt. Simmer for another 3 to 5 minutes.

Let cool, then puree in a blender. (Will store in refrigerator for up to a year).

Enjoy it however you want, but I suggest using it to coat some chicken wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment