Friday, June 18, 2010

Cleaning out the Fridge Frittata

At our weekly gathering yesterday, I was talking to a friend about great recipes that clean out the fridge, she was talking about meatloaf, but it got me thinking about others.
I made mini frittatas a few months ago in a muffin pan, but I decided this time to make a full sized one.
In my research I found two methods for making them.
You can either make frittata in a pie pan and bake it (which takes 40-50 minutes) or partially cook in on the stove in a saute pan and then finish it under the broiler (barely 15 minutes).
So of course I went with the later.


So I sifted through my fridge and cooked up with Chicken and Bacon Frittata.
While I'm including the recipe, you should remember that it isn't set in stone. Use whatever meat, cheese, herbs (fresh or dried), vegetables and even pasta that you have on hand. My frittata had 6 eggs in it, but you can include an extra 2 eggs for each additional person you're making this for. (My version could easily feed 4 people though). I served mine with steamed green beans.

Chicken and Bacon Frittata
6 eggs
1 cooked chicken breast, shredded
3 strips of bacon, chopped
1/4 cup shredded taco cheese (and extra for topping)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese (less if you're not as in love with it as I am)
1 tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. dried chives
salt/pepper

Heat up broiler.
Whisk together eggs.
Add chicken, bacon, both cheeses, herbs, and salt/pepper.

Butter/spray sauteed pan well.
Pour egg mixture into pan.
Cook on a medium heat, for 5-7 minutes, until the sides and bottom are set and just the top is uncooked. (Do not stir the eggs while cooking)
Top with extra cheese.
Place the pan under the broiler, for 2-3 minutes until the top is golden brown.

Remove from broiler, cut and serve.

I love whisking so much, my mixing is really starting to feel neglected.

Might as well keep using the whisk, why dirty another spoon?

Ready for the pan.

I was very paranoid about sticking, but I didn't have a problem with it.

Resist the urge to stir.
Getting close.
Top with extra cheese and it's time for the broiler.
Make sure to keep an eye on it at this stage.
Ready to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment