Monday, June 21, 2010

Garlic Scape Part 2- Garlic Scape and White Bean Dip


This morning I decided that I was tired of being sick. I just started this blog and I'm just not ready to take a break from it yet, so armed with an Iced Caramel Macchiato I made my way to the grocery store.
Grocery shopping is my ultimate cure-all.
All I needed was cannelloni beans, but I picked up all the ingredients for tomorrow's risotto.

While this recipe has olive oil in it, you could just as easily omit it and double up the amount of chicken broth if you want to keep it fat-free. You could also substitute a clove of garlic for the garlic scape. Or you could throw in some roasted red peppers. You can treat it like hummus, put it on sandwiches (instead of mayo), and dip raw vegetables in it (instead of ranch). It's a tasty, healthy alternative.

Garlic Scape and White Bean Dip

15 oz can of cannelloni beans, drained
1/4 cup of olive oil
1/4 cup of chicken broth, low sodium
1/3 of garlic scape, minced
salt/pepper
yellow tomato, chopped (for garnish)

Blend the cannelloni beans, garlic scape, broth, and oil together in a blender or food processor (you can use less liquid if using a food processor, but it took quite a bit of liquid to get my blender moving). Once the beans are a smooth puree, salt and pepper to taste.

Empty into a bowl and pile up tomatoes on top. (I think some shredded carrots would look pretty if you don't like tomatoes.)
Serve with toasted bread.

Wait...why isn't my bread toasted? I'm embarrassed to admit it, but after I sliced up some beautiful ciabatta bread and placed it under the broiler, I completely forgot about it. I got to it before anything terrible happened, but I wanted to include this as a warning.

***No matter what, never walk away from the broiler.***

No comments:

Post a Comment