Sunday, June 20, 2010

Garlic Scape Part 1- Garlic Scape and Walnut Pesto

My first experience with garlic scape was a few weeks ago while I was perusing the produce section, I was immediately attracted (because I love garlic), but repelled by the $9.99/lb sign.

However I was handed a bag of them yesterday free of charge, when I brought a tray of tasty tartlettes, to a party yesterday. Maybe it was a challenge, maybe it wasn't but I decided to take it as an opportunity to explore several uses for garlic scape.

The first is probably the most obvious and very easy, pesto.

I found this recipe, but modified it based on what I had on hand.


GARLIC SCAPE AND WALNUT PESTO

10 garlic scapes, finely chopped

1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (or more to taste)

1/3 cup walnuts, crushed

About 1/2 cup olive oil

Salt/Pepper

Put scapes, cheese walnuts, and about half the oil in your blender/food processor (you may need more oil if using a blender). Blend and add more oil to your preferred consistency. I like it smooth so I added a bit more oil, but if you like it chunky blend for a shorter amount of time and use less oil. Salt and pepper to taste.

Pesto freezes well so feel free to make it ahead of time, but if you aren’t going to use it right away place a piece of plastic wrap tightly over the top to pretend it turning brown. It’ll last a few days in the fridge, and a few months in the freezer.

I plan to devour mine tomorrow with some crusty bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment