Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Strawberries (were on sale) and Peach Cobbler

I wish I hadn't waited till one in the morning to start a blog, because today (by which I mean Tuesday) I made a beautiful strawberry peach cobbler.

And took one picture of it.
I have one picture of a nearly empty baking dish.
Although an empty dish was an accomplishment because while I am generally considered to be a good cook, my family members are EXTREMELY picky eaters. I can't fault them for it though, because I'm kind of picky too.

So this is an experiment
in getting picky eaters to try new, more interesting (and hopefully healthier) foods. I'm sick of eating take-out and over processed food, and want to challenge myself to make more food from scratch.

So let's start with dessert.

Strawberries (were on sale) and Peach Cobbler
(adapted from this recipe)

The Fruit:

  • 29 ounce can of sliced peaches in juice (feel free to use fresh, but this is what I had on hand)
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch or flour
  • 1/4 cup of light brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • Pinch salt
  • 2 pints of fresh strawberries
The Topping
  • 2 cups self-rising flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 pinches nutmeg
  • 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
  • 3/4 cup milk

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a bowl, combine the peaches, cornstarch or flour, brown sugar, lemon juice and salt, tossing gently. Cut the strawberries in half and add them to the fruit mixture and transfer the mixture to a baking dish (I used a 10 inch round cake pan, just use whatever you have on hand that looks right). Set aside.

In a bowl, mix the flour, salt, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add the butter and mix with a pastry blender or fork until coarse and crumbly.

Add 3/4 cup of milk and mix just until combined. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times to smooth it out. Form into a ball and roll out into the shape and size of the baking dish, about 1/2-inch thick. Place the dough on top of the prepared fruit.

Brush the top of the dough with egg wash (just a beaten egg) and sprinkle with the granulated sugar.

***Place the cobbler on a sheet-pan to catch any juices that may boil over.***

Bake until the top is golden brown and juices are bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Made perfect with a dollop of whipped cream or scoop of ice cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment